Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

My mercury virado seems to lack fuel. when i accelerate fast

Customer Question

my mercury virado seems to lack fuel. when i accelerate fast it is missing or if i bring it up slow it is ok up to 5000 rpm then it starts missing. what could it be
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
.Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

The Verado is a complicated, computer controlled engine that can only be properly diagnosed with the proper computer or scan tool and software.
From your description though I would hazard to say it may be the lift pump or a restriction.
You can put a locally found fuel pressure/vacuum gauge inline before the engine and see if you have a restriction. With the pump active (running) the vacuum should be about 3.76 Hg.
You can also run the engine at about 1000 rpm for about 10 minutes and see if you run out of gas. If so the lift pump is bad and will need replacing. About a $300 item.
The pump is rather difficult to get to so this is one of those jobs I would have a qualified tech do.
I would also check the fuel line and pick up in the tank for restrictions dirt etc. Run the engine on a separate tank. If the engine now runs correctly then the problem is in the boat, not the engine.
Post back with any further questions on this or if you don't understand something.
Thanks