Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

2003 carbarorated 350 won't start or 30 tries then will

Customer Question

2003 carbarorated 350 won't start for 20 or 30 tries then will start and run good ... some times if after trying several times to start if I let is set for 5 min. it will start and run good
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the flame arrestor is the choke plate closed when it's cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is closed when cold ... it stars to open when the key is turned on
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That is correct it is supposed to start to open. I would close the choke plate a little tighter to give it more fuel. There is a choke module on the side of the carb loosen the 3 screws and turn choke module to where it closes the choke plate a little tighter. Now you may have to try the adjustment a couple of time to get it just right. Now one more thing you need to check is are you getting spark when cranking for the first time. We may have an ignition issue with a connection. Try this and post back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I will try the choke ... Some times it sounds like it wants to start just as I release the ignition key ... I do have spark while I am trying to start
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Well that leaves fuel if the choke start to open to soon it will make the engine hard to start. Have you tried pumping the throttle before you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried pumping and not pumping
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You may have a carburetor issue. Has the engine been sitting for awhile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just over the winter but it did this last year as well ... funny thing is the first time I start it in the spring it always starts first time
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we could have an issue with to much choke. The reason it starts is the choke finally comes open allowing more air in to the engine. The clue was when you said you tried pumping the throttle it didn't seem to help. So that tells me you are getting possibly to much fuel. Try opening the choke up more. You may have to make a couple of different adjustments to get the choke just right. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please post back if you need further assistance.
Thank you.......Tan