Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have a 2014 Verado 150hp, ran fine on first outing but once

Customer Question

Have a 2014 Verado 150hp, ran fine on first outing but once we went to load up the float sensor error occurred right before I loaded it, took it out after that ran it for a whole weekend and no issues, took it out yesterday and the error code was chiming as soon as I turned the key to start, error code saying float sensor , ran it across lake and died, let it sit for a couple minutes and would start and then die after a minute of running, it's under warranty just wondering what it could be, or if it's the ethanol in the gas , as the dealer I bought it from told me it runs better on 89 octane with I thought it should be the other way around and should be using 91 octane , I drained the tank and filled it with 91 and was going to try it , do you suppose it could be the gas issue a using this problem as it had been filled with 89 octane with 10 percent ethanol?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

The fuel is not the issue when the float alarm happens. Most of the time it is due to the rigging of the boat, and the various sensor do not agree with each other to allow the boost pump to run. This is really true if the boat has a primer bulb and you use it. This would trip a switch and not allow the boost pump to run at all and you would run out of fuel. The 150 will run just fine on 89 octane gas and up to 10% ethanol. It is designed to do so. any more than that Mercury will void the warranty on the engine.

So the big questions is, is your boat rigged with a primer bulb in the fuel line?