Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

2001 mercury 115 4 stroke - no water flow thru motor, water

Customer Question

2001 mercury 115 4 stroke - no water flow thru motor, water pump looks new, key good, water tube between lower unit and main unit good-
Any ideas??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.

OK how are you determining there is no water flow through the motor? Have you pulled the thermostat cover and inspected the thermostat and poppet valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water flow out of the tatail hole.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
First of all use a fine wire, like a stiff leader line or compressed air and blow back through the tell tale outlet. Insects love to make nest in the hoses. Follow the hose back and take it off the fitting,run engine and see if you get water, clean this fitting out as well if you don't get good water. There is a T fitting in the line check this as well.
If still no water remove the thermostat cover, start engine and see if you are getting any water there. If not then chances are there is a water blockage in the exhaust plate under the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the motor tipped up the way up to remove the lower unit. Can I tip it back down with putting the lower unit back on?

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't understand your question?