Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a alpha 1 allso stalls after 1/2 hour this probblem

Customer Question

I have a alpha 1 allso stalls after 1/2 hour this probblem started after a pointless ignition and 3 different coils were installed
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Which engine are you working on, and what kinds of problems are you having with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a alpha 1 allso stalls after 1/2 hour this probblem started after a pointless ignition and 3 different coils were installed"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mercruser3.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello u there
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Mercruiser 3.0, got it. Now when the engine stalls is there spark, or is there no spark?
What year is this engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1987 not sure about spark
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What kinds of questions do you have for me, what is it you are looking to do here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What might be the cause of the engine stalling after 1/2 hour of continuos runnning knowing that it spent days in the shop last year till they finally got a coil that still worked after 1/2 hr. running time
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The engine needs 3 things to run. Compression spark and fuel. It is very rare for compression to come and go. So that leaves you with spark and fuel. The engine is missing on of those items. You have to figure out which one its missing in order to know which direction to go in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks So I'm running the motor now .If it stalls how do I check for electric at the coil And or for gas as well?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way would be with a can of starting fluid. When it stalls, spray some starting fluid down the throat of the carb. If the engine has spark, it will fire, indicating it is a fuel issue. If there is no spark, it won't do anything. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iTSTALLED I TRIED AND STARTED IT WITH FLIUD BUT BLACK SMOKE CAME OU OF THE OUTDRIVE WITH SOME SMALL PIECE OF BLACK GASKET OR CLUTCH TYPE MATERIAL THEN THE ENGINE DOES NOT TURN CLIK OR ANYTHING
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAN WE TALK BY PHONE?(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The website does allow phone calls but they do charge extra for it
(30$). If you would like a phone call just let me know and I will send you the payment information to that to your email address.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SOAFTER A FEW MINUTES THE ENGIN IS TURNING ICAN SEE AND SMEEL GAS BUT NOT STARTING WHAT DO U THINK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wELL?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you don't have any spark. Do you have a voltmeter in order to check for voltage at the coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES BUT i'LL NEED INSTRUCTIONS TO USE IT PLEASE
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Check for voltage on the purple wire at the coil with both the key on engine off, and then again with the engine cranking. Let me know what you get for numbers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT ABOUT THE BLACK SMOKE AND THIN PIECE OF GASKET AT THE EXHAUST
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Black smoke was more than likely the engine loading up with gas when it stalled. As for the gasket, cant really say right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tALK TOMMORROW
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay have a good night.