Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

On the water traveling less than 10 mphNew oil change, new

Customer Question

On the water traveling less than 10 mph
New oil change, new battery, has gas
Boat stops after a small jerk - as if a small piece of floating wood/stick touched the boat
Will turn over, attempting to start- then nothing
When trying to starting, it doesn't drag- flips once then stops
What could it be??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is this a sterndrive boat or inboard?

When you say it flips once, has it ony flipped the 1 time. Or can you get multiple revolutions out of the engine but just one at a time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inboard/outboard
Flips once with no additional revolution
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you turn the key will it flip once with each turn of the key, or did it only flip the 1 time and that was it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One key turn, one revolution - and can do the same turn with same result
I hear the start and attempt then nothing
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It can be any number of things here. The first thing to check for is a dead battery. Do you have a voltemeter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were moving and driving along when it stopped . Plus it's a new battery and just had it ckd out
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay.... Go on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Go on....
Just de winterized, boat has new oil and filter, fired right up several times and then while cruising along it stopped
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

A few minutes ago I had asked " The first thing to check for is a dead battery. Do you have a volt meter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurments?"

You didn't respond to that, can I get a simple yes or no on that please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not have a voltage meter and I am sure it is not a dead battery
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good luck? Can we still work on getting a direction? Another notable occurrence was each time I'd try to start the boat, if the steering wheel was turned to one side, once turning the key the wheel would turn / could this be of any help
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the battery cables are they tight? If you turn the key to start position and move the throttle handle back and forth with the engine crank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cables are tight. New battery and we were moving on the water about 10mph
Will crank one time and then silent
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key to the on position do your gauges come on? Did you try cranking and moving the shift handle? Does it crank? If you find the sspot where it cranks leave the lever there. Now will engine continue to crank? You have a loose connection somewhere in the start circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you- great questions. Yes, when key is turned, gauges come on. When throttle is moved or in neutral and key is turned to start, boat cranks once and then nothing
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok locate the main engine harness plug on the engine. This is where the boat harness plugs to the engine harness. Pull the plug apart then plug it back together now try to start the engine. Does it start? If no go directly to the starter and with a piece of wire jump from terminal A to B does the engine crank normally? http://i.imgur.com/SbZmo0h.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Great suggestions! I will attempt that tomrw. May I ask one more question this evening before we reconvene tomorrow ....
Why would the boat of stopped while in motion?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Loss of battery voltage to the engine. That's why I think you have a loose connection. What verifies this is the engine cranks then quits like you are loosing voltage. I would check all the connections on the key switch and the engine both positive and negative at the dash and the engine. Somewhere we are loosing voltage. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, I checked with the person driving when it happened and was told the meters r working and level was between 13-14
What do ya think??
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok then we need to check the voltage at the ignition coil when the engine acts up. If we loose voltage to the coil then we still have a loose connection or corroded connection. Did the engine restart ok today when you tried starting the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, same result. Turned over the one time and then nothing. Will check about the ignition coil and any corrosion
Thank you
Will let u know
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok did you try cranking the motor at the starter? This will eliminate the starter as the problem. This is going to be one of those things where we have to keep checking different locations for the voltage loss. We need to check the voltage on the P & Q terminal when the engine quits cranking. If no voltage we have a voltage from key switch to solenoid. This is either a bad key switch, neutral safety switch, corroded connection in the main engine harness. http://i.imgur.com/v6ikNFi.jpg
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
http://i.imgur.com/v6ikNFi.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok! I'll give it a go and let u know. Thank you
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok your welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, wanted u to know as much as I appreciate the direction with my boat problems, it turns out the lower out drive has seized up- ball bearings need liberation and maintenance
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok symptoms can be similar. I most likely would have found the issue if I were there to hear the engine. Please don't forget to positively rate me for me time and help to you. This is the only way I get credit for helping you in a strange situation. Thank you........Tan