Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 2001 mercury 2 stroke outboard, this past weekend my son shifted from forward to

Customer Question

I have a 2001 mercury 2 stroke outboard, this past weekend my son shifted from forward to reverse without shifting thru neutral for a moment. Didn't realize until docking that you hear a grinding in reverse, forward and neutral seems to be running fine. Have 2 questions, what does the issue sound like, and can i still use the motor and address the issue in the off season?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
What hp and the serial number please so I can properly ID the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the engine serial number, but the HP is 150, this engine was the upgrade available to the standard 115hp on the trophy 2001 1903
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
As you know any time you shift gears you need to let the rpm's come down. If the lower unit was shifted too fast with the engine speed still high you can damage the clutch dog (shifter) and possible the reverse gear or both.
There are square cogs on the gear and the shifter, they mesh when in gear. What happens when they are improperly put in gear is the mating surfaces are broken not allowing the shifter to stay in gear. The ratcheting is the clutch bouncing in and out of gear.
the other possibility is the shift linkage could have been bent. this is less likely though.
Unfortunately it won't get better and will get worse until you have no reverse at all. There are a few other possible problems. One is the metal shavings from the gear and shifter will mix in the gear oil and contaminate the gear oil and get into the bearings. The other possibility is the shifter itself will fracture and fail leaving you with no gears or possibly breaking the gearcase. None of these are good.
My recommendation would be to have the lower unit gone through and the gear and shifter checked and replaced. It's much better to spend a few hundred dollars now than have to replace the entire lower unit shortly. I would not wait until off season.
Thanks, ***** ***** know if you have further questions on this.