Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Jeff, I have a 2005 -60HP 2 stroke Mercury outboard. Before

Customer Question

Jeff,
I have a 2005 -60HP 2 stroke Mercury outboard. Before putting in the water this year 2 cycle oil seems to coming out the the slotted vvent above the outdrive. I put it in the water anyway. Engine runs good and is not smoking excessivly but the oil tank level is going down more than normal. Is there a valve that controls the missing ration that maybe stuck open.
Thanks,
Fran
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The oil goes into the engine by means of a gear driven pump, thus it will not let oil go into the engine while the engine is not running. If the engine is not smoking excessively then the pump seems to be working correctly. As for the oil coming out that could be carbon in the exhaust melting and coming out that is quite normal if boat is used in low rpm.
At this stage i would monitor the oil consumption for the first few rides but you should not have any issues.
If you need further assistance let me know.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noel,
The engine is not smoking excessivley but as mentioned above but the site level tube on the oil tank seems to be going down faster than in years past. Anything else I can check myself.
Thanks,
Fran
Another thing you may need to check are the plastic transparent hoses that go from the pump to the engine as sometimes they crack. Move them around and make sure you do not have any of them cracked.
Noel
Do you require further assistance on this problem?
Noel