Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Have 1988 16ft mirrorcraft fishing boat, the wood in the transom

Customer Question

have 1988 16ft mirrorcraft fishing boat, the wood in the transom is rotting away, is there a fix for this? It has a 60hp mercury outboard, and I'm afraid it's going to rip the transom off of the boat, in which case the boat will sink in the middle of a lake. Retired, fixed income, so there is no money to have someone fix it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
This can be a difficult job. I would recommend having someone with experience do the job.
You need to remove the engine, yes just 4 nuts and bolts. An engine hoist will help, I wouldn't recommend trying to manhandle the engine.
Next remove the transom cap and corner supports. The transom is now exposed. Measure the thickness of the transom. If 1 1/2" then 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood and if 1 1/4" thick a piece of 3/4" and a piece of 1/2" will be needed. Take out the old wood removing any through bolts. Use the old wood as a template.
I recommend using pressure treated plywood, however let it dry before using it.
Replacement is a reverse of disassembly. Use stainless steel fasteners instead of rivets.
As I said not an easy job.
If you have a specific question or problem I'll be glad to answer. Hard to throughly answer since I don't know your capabilities or tools.
Thanks