Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 97 60hp Mercury getting fuel air and compression

Customer Question

I have a 97 60hp Mercury getting fuel air and compression but no spark. I disconnected the black and yellow wire off the black switch box now I'm getting spark any ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Merrcurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can see which ignition system you have.

Also, do you have a decent quality volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to take basic resistance measurments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan Where is the serial num and I have a meter but not sure how to test ohm
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hey Dan, the serial number on the clamp bracket, starboard side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0d089986
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Now what kind of meter do you have? Do you know how to use it at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a multimeter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you know how to use it it at all? Is it analog or digitnal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can have my friend with me n show me how he knows how to use it
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you locate the switchbox you should have a green/white and a white/green pair of wires. Disconnect those, and measure the resitance of side of those wires that run up to the stator. What do you show for a resitance reading?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. Any luck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry was tied up with family. But update. The boat runs now only when that blank yellow wire is disconnected it runs a little rough prob bec it's been sitting a few years
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If it is running with the black/yellow wire disconnected either the keyswitch or the emergency stop switch is bad, and that is what is killing spark. So you would want to test those one at a time to figure out which switch is shorting, and killing spark.

I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the spark issue or do you think that covers it? -Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the boat on the lake with in 30 seconds it dies out barley runs but the 30 seconds it did run was great. It has fresh fuel Water it flowing out of the peehole great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get it back running but as soon as I try n get on it it Boggs out and doesn't want to go
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you try pumping the primer bulb over and over to see if it wld stay running? Has this engine been sitting a long time?