Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 mercury 225. Has not been in water years

Customer Question

I have a 1998 mercury 225. Has not been in water for 2 years until yesterday. Put in idled out to river & opened up & planned out. Ran +-2 minutes then a noise started like something against flywheel. I slowed down. U-turned to head back at mid idle. Motor quit about 3 minutes latet. Towed in. Today under hood lots of metal shavings up to underside of flywheel. I suspect something has come loose possibly a timing sensor the rear ? Sensor? Has the most shavings on it. Motor will crank stumble & go dead.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you pulled the flywheel off yet? Can you move the flywheel laterally? You could have a stator that is rubbing the flywheel due to over heat and expansion or the upper bearing on the crank has failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starter is not rubbing. Upper crank bearing is plausible but why would it fail so suddenly? Any other possibilites? Why would the most shavings be on the rear (of 6) ? Sensor? Could carbs or cylinders have ingested enough shavings for a problem & if so what to do?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I didn't say starter I said stator. The stator is the charge coils under the flywheel. A bearing can fail at any time. If it isn't getting lubrication it won't take long for the bearing to come apart. I don't know which engine you have exactly to know what sensors you are referring to. Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stator must be what I was calling sensors where is serialocated number. What about shavings
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The shavings could be ingested into the carb. The shavings will be coming off the stator and the flywheel. The only way to know is to pull the flywheel. Can you move the flywheel laterally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't feel any lateral movement in flywhell
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you remove the spark plugs and spin the flywheel do you hear any rubbing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that . If rubbing continues or stops what does that mean. Can cards be cleaned with carb cleaner spray. I can see shavings in port side air intakes
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The shavings won't be inside the carbs as the shavings have gone through the carb and directly into the engine. Carb cleaner won't get rid of the shavings. The only way to get rid of shaving that are internal is to disassemble the engine. If these shavings get into the bearings it will cause bearing failure. When the engine is cold it most likely won't rub if it is the stator. The stator will get hot and expand causing it to rub. Could I get the engine serial number please.