Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Got a 08 DF 300 Suzuki 4 stoke... Both remote and outboard

Customer Question

Got a 08 DF 300 Suzuki 4 stoke... Both remote and outboard mounted trim/tilt switch have down tilt working , but no "up" am somewhat mechanically inclined, owned many outboards in my time and have done alot of my own work...can u please help me??? Thanks for your respins!!!! Darren
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
Back on the engine is a one piece power trim relay. More than likely this is your problem. Inside is essentially two relays. The trim motor is a two wire motor. This means that when you operate the trim switch it operates the positive to the motor and the ground comes from the other relay. Then when you operate the trim in the other direction it reverses the positive and ground.
So when you have only one direction we know the the trim motor is OK. Since both trim switches are not operating either it is a wiring problem or the relay.
Check the wiring from the engine trim switch it goes to the relay. Unplug it and then plug it back in. Check operation.
If this doesn't work then the relay is probably the problem.
If you are good with a 12 volt test light or voltmeter you can use these to ensure your voltage in and out. 12 volts in 12 volts out to the motor.
If this is confusing let me know.
The relay is located on the side of the engine next to the ECU # ***** in the drawing. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Suzuki/Outboard/2008/DF300/PTT%20SWITCH%20-%20ENGINE%20CONTROL%20UNIT/parts.html