Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Tan. . My wife and I are looking at a

Customer Question

Hi Tan. My name is Gregg. My wife and I are looking at a 1995 Byliner 2452 today. It's our first boat purchase. The owner says it's in excellent shape with 250 total hours on the engine. Can you give me any tips or advice or questions to ask when we see the boat later today?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
There are many things to look at. First of all look at the general condition. Is the fiberglass faded? Cushions ripped, cracked or in good condition? This may be an indication of how the boat was stored.
Is the floor spongy, it should be rigid. Is there rust, particularly around exterior fittings.
Check the engine. Is it rusty? Look at the bilge and starter low on the engine. Is it clean, rusty or corrosion?
Does the engine start easily? Does it run smooth and cool? Ask for maintenance records. When was the outdrive bellows replaced, should be within the last 5 years or so. What condition is the drive in? Corrosion? Major dings in the lower unit?
When was the water pump last replaced, it is on the lower unit.
Does everything on the boat work? All the gauges? Make a list of anything wrong with the boat or engine.
Don't buy unless you water test.
Does it start easily in the water?
Idle smooth? Accelerate smoothly? Run the boat for at least 20 minutes to check for overheating.
Inspect the transom for any signs of rot.
If the boat passes all these it may be OK. Keep in mind the boat is 20 years old. Baylinder although a good boat was an entry level boat in most classes it was in.
You didn't say which engine, however I would pass on any engine other than Mercruiser due to parts and service availability.
Please let me know of any other questions on this.
Thanks