TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic
Experience:  Former Kawasaki pwc tech. current Honda pwc tech.
8313095

I have a Honda Aquatrax turbo and the battery has gone dead.

Customer Question

I have a Honda Aquatrax turbo and the battery has gone dead. I charged up the battery and I have checked the fuses. I was only able to check two fuses the other would not test. I repalced those and still unable to get a reading on them. The previous owners
told me that when their battery died they had to take it to a dealership because of the computer not allowing the jet ski to crank. Is there anythig I can try before having to take it to a dealership?
Category: Boat
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

The most likely source of the problem is the main relay. It is located to the very rear of the hull over the jet pump housing and behind the black rectangular black box that holds the staretr relay and wiring. It is not visible because of the location.

Here is a link to a parts diagram for reference:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondapwc&a=13&b=39&c=0&d=-ELECTRICAL---WIRE-HARNESS-(FRAME)

The relay is #6. It is the most common failure on these watercraft. There are two bolts holding it on and they can be removed with a ratchet and short extension with a 10mm socket. You cannot see the bolts so it will have to be done by feel. with the two bolts out slide the relay out and unplug the three wire connectors mounted on top of the starter relay wiring box. Install the new part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I buy the part is there any way to make sure it is the relay by testing the connections?

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
There is a test for the main relay. Unplug the 6 wire gray wire connector that comes from the main relay and plugs into the wire harness on the bracket mounted to the right side of the starter relay box. Use a 12 volt battery and jumper wires to power up the relay. Positive to the red/blue wire, negative to the light green/black. Connect an ohmmeter to the red/black wire and the red/white wire. There should be continuity between the red/black and red/white when the relay is powered up and no contunity when the relay has no power.