Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a merc 115 efi 4 stroke, 115 xl 4s, serial #1b430561.

Customer Question

I have a merc 115 efi 4 stroke, 115 xl 4s, serial #1b430561. mfg- 11/2006. It is on a 2007 1750 lund tyee. The motor will rev to full rpm, appx 5000. I might get 8 mph total. With motor out of water, off (not running), place in forward gear and spin prop with hand the prop slips, when put in reverse and spin prop, prop is stable. what and how bad is lower end. dave
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave. My name is***** hub of the prop is most likely spun or cracked depending on which hub you have. Some props have a rubber hub and some have a replaceable plastic hub. Remove the prop check the hub of the prop. Then put the engine in forweard gear and spin the prop shaft to the left if should lock. Put in neutral it should spin free. Finally put engine in reverse spin prop shaft to the right it should lock. If it locks then the lower unit is Ok. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
too late tonight, if needed, how to contact tomorow
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Just post back just like you have been. I am on at 8AM PST