Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 88 125 force outboard that won't start. It wants to

Customer Question

I have a 88 125 force outboard that won't start. It wants to start but instead floods. We did a spark plug test and realized only the# ***** spark plug is sparking and the other 3 are not. Do u think I need new coils or do u think it may have something to do with the kill switch
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** all the coils will go bad at the same time. The kill switch would kill spark on all cylinders. You most likely have a bad CDI module possibly a bad trigger. We can't test the CDI module but we can test the trigger. Do you have an ohm meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have one. What do I need to do?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the orange,green, red and white/green. Test between the orange and green then between the red and green/white. You should have 48-52 ohms.