Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

5.7gxi running fault

Customer Question

5.7gxi running fault
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The engine is fuel injected so it will have to go on a diagnostic scan tool. A program called Diacom is what I personally use. What kinds of questions did you have about the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I bought the boat in October 2014 it had a full engine and leg service ,it ran great for 2 or 3 occasions and then would need a bit of throttle to start and would tick over lumpy, when I gave it any revs it would cough and die, it also made a loud sucking noise from the flame arrestor, the marina diagnosed it as water in the fuel ,they drained it cleaned it and filled with fresh gas, it worked great for 2 or 3 times out ,I then put away for winter.in spring it had the same symptoms , the marina diagnosed it as the crank sensor they cleaned it and it ran great for 2 more occasions. The next time it started great I used it for 1/2 hour stopped for 1 hour and it had the same problem, I put a new crank sensor in it with no change. I feel it is the same problem from the start as the symptoms seem the same ,will only tick over, running lumpy, loud sucking induction noise and dose not like any revs ,thanks Chris.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
All I see is a story. What kinds of questions did you specifically have here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean a story , I am trying to give you some info to see if you have any idea of my running fault ,maybe I should tell my story to someone else.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris. I'm not sure if you understand how these engines work or not. These are sophisticated fuel injected engines. They require extensive testing to figure out any issues including but not limited to checking compression, checking spark intensity, checking fuel pressure and last but not least hooking up to a diagnostic laptop in order to figure out what the issue is. It's not something that can be solved by guessing or talking about it, it needs diagnostics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to waste your time