RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

Please can I ask help on a Yamaha XL700 2 stroke

Customer Question

please can I ask help on a Yamaha XL700 2 stroke Wave runner jet ski, it starts but it's weak when I ride on water, also petrol overflows.
also water is not strong when comes out of PWC outlet.
It's a second hand and I'm a third owner, what's the problem?
thanks and hope to hear from you.
kind regards
Prima Reweru.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.
There are a couple of things you need to do right away. First, do a compression test on the engine and see what it has for compression. Since you didn't specify what year your XL700 is I can't give you specs because they have used 2 entirely different engines in the XL700. Mainly you are looking for at least 135 and consistent readings on the front and rear cylinder. If one or both are below that, there is top end damage and it will need to be torn down to diagnose the extent of the damage.
As far as the petrol overflowing, this is a very dangerous situation. A fuel leak in an enclosed engine compartment can cause an explosion. Inspect all the fuel lines and connections from the fuel tank back. As serious as this can be, I would not over look the possibility of the tank itself leaking either. This is a very rare problem so I can not point you to one specific location. I do urge you to look very closely so you don't overlook the source of the problem.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks Customer