Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Jon boat with a 1999 25 HP Yamaha Outboard model

Customer Question

I have a Jon boat with a 1999 25 HP Yamaha Outboard model # ***** ***** It set up for a couple years after my Dad passed and I finally put tires on it and took it back home and put new hose new tank and new plugs it started and ran on the first 10 seconds of hitting the button and idled fine. I took it out a few times and it ran ok but begin to go down hill over next year or so finally got to the point of not running well at all seemed to be starving for gas I could pull the choke out 1/3 of the way and it ran ok but not more than 50% throttle. I took it to a shop the said it needs a CDI box I got the part and had a guy install it but it never ran out right it would crank and idle ok but out on water it bogged. I let my nephew keep the boat for the summer and he had a mechanic tell him that the cdi box was bad had a pinched wire where the other guy installed it wrong so I sent him a new one and he put it on and the motor ran a little better he rebuilt the carbs and today it ran out pretty good but it seemed like the gas line was collapsing he put on a new line and it has not cranked at all after that.. Any ideas? He's camping in MS so has a limited amount of resources as far as tools go. He did mention the plugs at one time today was wet and oil
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. The clue here is the collapsing fuel line. This is a fuel starvation issue with the fuel tank. Either the fuel pick up is clogging or the vent in the tank is blocked. Run the engine on another fuel source or run the fuel line directly into the fuel tank through the filler cap on the tank. Does it run better?