Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 89 four winns 170, we went to start it and it turned on after a few times,

Customer Question

Hello I have a 89 four winns 170, we went to start it and it turned on after a few times, but as soon as we let go of the key it would shut off, and now it won't turn at all, we were messing with the throttle and it turned but as soon as I let go of the throttle it stopped. Any idea what could be the issue ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** key to the on position now check for voltage on the purple wire of the ignition coil? Could I get the engine make, model and serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Omc cobra. It's a 170 Freedom stock Engine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Is this a 6 or 8 cylinder motor? Did you check the voltage at the ignition coil key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.3L no I haven't yet I came to my house to pick up somethings, it's weird cuz it started and was actually running for a few seconds and then nothing, now won't even turn over but the radio and horn still works I think it's something to do with the throttle cuz after I started to rev it in idol that's when it stopped turning over
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok turn the key to start position and move the throttle handle back and forth. Does the engine crank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No does not crank
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests? When you turn the key on do the gauges come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all gauges come on. No voltage checker
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you know where the start solenoid is on the engine? Jump the 2 large terminal together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try that
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok now if the engine cranks we need to jump 12 volts to the small terminal on the solenoid with the yellow/red wire. Does the engine crank? Post back with findings.