Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1991 kawasaki 440 idels good and starts but will not go fast

Customer Question

1991 kawasaki 440 idels good and starts but will not go fast when i press gas almost dies
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am happy to help you figure out what is wrong with your Kawasaki 440.
I would like a little more background on the ski please.
First, how long have you owned it? IF you have owned it for awhile, how long has it had this problem? If you haven't owned it very long, has it ever run correctly for you?
Beyond that, we need to get into some diagnostics. There are 2 possibilities. Either a mechanical issue or a fuel supply issue.
First, let's do a compression test. It is an easy test that is invaluable in the diagnostic and repair process. Run that test and let me know what you got.
If the compression tests good, then we can move on to checking the fuel system. From what you described, as long as we are mechanically sound, it sounds like a fuel starvation issue. I suggest starting at the fuel tank and checking the fuel lines starting with the pickups in the tank and working your way towards the carburetor. Check to make sure they are all open and free flowing, and not restricted in any way. Make sure you check through the petcock in both the on and reserve positions too. If the lines are clear from the tank to the carb, then we need to take the carb apart and inspect it. If you do have to go into the carb, I suggest installing a carb rebuild kit while you are at it. If it had any leaky check valves or diaphragms, the rebuild kit will have replacements.
If it does turn out to have a compression problem, the top end is going to have to come off of it to assess the damage.
Let me know what you find.
Thanks, Customer