Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am looking to buy a 2002 Grady White with twin 225 Yamaha

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a 2002 Grady White with twin 225 Yamaha engines of the same vintage. I have been told by the owner that although used in salt water the engines were religiously washed with fresh water at the end of each trip. Should I be concerned about the exhaust corrosion issue?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Yes you should be concerned. If the exhaust hasn't been corrected then it will rot out sooner or later. And you should plan of 5k per engine to fix, which is about the worst it can get, so if you are going to make an offer on the boat, offer accordingly.
This doesn't actually have anything to do with freshwater or saltwater. The exhaust system is dry and no water comes into contact with it. What eats up the exhaust system is the acids that are a normal byproduct of combustion, and present in all exhaust systems be it a car or this outboard.
Click this link below, here is a good article on it. Make sure you read the 2nd half of the article as it will go on to explain how there is no water in the part of the exhaust that rots out.
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/october/Yamaha-F225-Corrosion-Complaints.asp
If you want to go through with it, plan the offer accordingly. If the owner doesn't want to budge, skip the boat. And skip any boat with 2000 through 2005 F225's and F250's.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you do the ratings. Did you have any other questions on the engines or do you think that covers it? -Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It's going to be all F225's from 2000 through 2005. 2006 on up are considered "Safe" at this point.
Was there anything else I could help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very satisfied with the response but not the content. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I don't quite understand you. Did you not agree with my answers or not like them because they are bad news type answers? Did you have any further questions about this, or was there something else I could help you with?
Just incase you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you can not see the ratings box, please reply back "I rate Jasons service as _______" and fill the blank with whatever you deem most appropriate. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. If I do not hear back from you I thank you in advance and good luck!
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, You are right about me not understanding the website. I apologize for not rating your efforts in the last message but have now corrected that issue. I was not pleased with the information you gave about the Yamaha engines because they run so good. I will price my bid according to the information you gave me. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
A lot of people have gotten burned by these engines, it is not a list you would want to add yourself to. If it wasn't for the exhaust issue they would be great engines, and they are with the updated exhausts. It's one of those cases where the engineers or the bean counters thought they would save a few bucks by using a cheap grade of aluminum without an epoxy coating in the exhaust system, and it came back to bite them.
It doesn't look like any rating has come through, you have to highlight the star and hit the select/confirm button. If you have a hard time with it please reply back "I rate Jason's service __________" and fill in the word you deem most appropriate, and I can have the moderators take care of it.
Thanks again and good luck!
Jason