Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Help needed 2009 mercury optimax 115 Was running good ran fuel

Customer Question

help needed 2009 mercury optimax 115 Was running good ran fuel tank down to about a gallon of gas and motor lost 200 rpm top end and now will not idle when started. This motor has had a new fuel pump last year and all new ignition coils installed last year. Never been over heated. I brought it home new plugs, fuel filter air cleaner did not help. Put new hi test gas in it a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in it took it back out and finely got it running and at top end no trim adjust ment lost 400 more rpms and now cannot even get it to start idle before it would idle sporatic ANY SUGGESTIONS were to start looking next
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
If the tank ran down close to empty then the two most likely scenarios are the fuel filter is plugged, the fuel inejctors are plugged, or both. Starting with the filter at the vapor tank. Has that been changed yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the filter at the vapor tank is about 5inches lond and screws into the left side of the motor looking at it from behind yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive als checked the idlel pulley it is ok and the belt from the fly wheel compressor and alternator is tight with no wobbles on top
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
come on I need a response or I rate you accordingly
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne I'm sorry but I am helping 5 other people at the same time, please be patient with me.
What I would do next in the shop is an injector leak down test. You won't have any of the tools to do this. So i'm not sure what it is you are looking to do here. These are extremely complicated engines. How far were you looking to take this?