Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 9.9 2004 johnson the gas was pooring out of the overflow

Customer Question

i have a 9.9 2004 johnson the gas was pooring out of the overflow when running i thought the float was stuck so i droped the ball cleaned it no leak now but its not getting enough gas to run
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Is this a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, 9.9, Johnson made both in 2004. If you have the model number that would be best.
Also, what do you mean by you "droped the ball cleaned it no leak"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 stroke the bottom of carb there is a little plunger in there moves up and down mabey i didnt line that up perfect dose that go into a slot if i missed that could that cause no or little gas flow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no gas comeing out the overfloe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor ran but the gass was pooring out the overflow wouldnt run good at low speed
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That little plunger is an accelerator pump.
When you say gas is coming out of the overflow, is it leaking out of the top of the carb?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was now it isnt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dose the accelerator pump line up in a slot in the carb
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean. What do you mean by lines up in a slot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just dropped the bottom of carb cant see if acc. pump could be pushed down and not in right position
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The accelerator pump only fits one way, it's not something that can be screwed up at all. Either way, if the carb is overflowing that would not be an accelerator pump issue. What causes that is a dirty needle and seat valve inside of the carb. The way it's supposed to work is when the fuel level rises the float comes up and pushes the needle valve closed against the seat, which stops incoming fuel. If the needle valve is not closing, the carbs fuel bowl will fill up, and eventualy overflow. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i took the bottom off to clean because it was overflowing.when i put it back togeather its not getting gas to run. i took it apart again seems like the float is full of gas but wont run. will run if i use starter fluid till i stop spraying it . let sit will start for one second
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When you say the float is full of gas, does it feel like it's actually waterlogged with gas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the housing arround the float
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. That is called the fuel bowl, that is supposed to be full of gas. The level in that bowl is what raises and lowers the float itself. Kinda like how a toilet works. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i know that .my question is why when i cleaned the fuel bowl stopped the overflow leak seem to be getting gas in fuel bowl why wont it run?it ran before i cleaned it but leaked from the overflow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the float moves fine.and is getting gas
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If it runs on starting fluid then the carb is going to be clogged up and will need to be rebuilt. When I wrote "What causes that is a dirty needle and seat valve inside of the carb" that same dirt is going to be in the carbs internal idle circuits and fuel jets. And those internal circuits and jets are not flowing fuel. If you look inside the gas tank, there is likely to be at least small particles in there as well. And it does not take much to clog up these carbs. Does that help better explain it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Very good! This stuff is fairly technical and different wording works better (or worse) with different people.
I don't know how you want to leave this. But that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you doing the rating. Did you have any other questions on the issue or do you think that covers it? -Jason