Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1975 merc 351 .while cold shifter works perfectly,starts

Customer Question

hi,i have a 1975 merc 351 cid.while cold shifter works perfectly,starts with the touch of the key,however when engine is warm it will die in forward or reverse,hard to start.have to rev engine to go reverse or forward
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What is the history on the engine? Does it have good compression, how old is the gas, when was the last time a tune up was done, when did it last run correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The website does offer phone calls but they do charge extra for it ($30). Did you want to continue online or did you want me to send you the information over for phone service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
online
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Did you see my questions to you in my first reply? This is a 40 year old engine, so I need to know as much about it as you can tell me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine has always run great.compression is good.gas is always ethanol free with seafoam occasionally.tune up 30 days ago when i had stripped the connection where fuel filter goes into carb.had shifting problem for 3-4 months
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is it dying as soon as you shift it?
Is this an inboard setup or a sterndrive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is dying as soon as you shift,however,when cold shifts perfectly,idles perfectly,starts touch of the key,sterndrive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry,have to leave.be back 12 oclock est
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with where the shift interrupt switch is on the engine? It would be on a metal plate where the shift cables connect, and they typically have a purple and a black wire on it.
Also, are you near the boat now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jason i am back,sorry for delay
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you read my last reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes,it stalls when shifting in,to forward or reverse,however,when engine cold shifts perfectly and starts at the touch of the key
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the purple wire from that switch and tape it over so it can not hit anything. Try and duplicate the problem. Does it still stall out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jason,may be day or two to get to lake to check.will respond later.thank bob
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay Bob keep me posted.