Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

2001Honda BF50. Will not make contact when I turn the ignition

Customer Question

2001Honda BF50. Will not make contact when I turn the ignition switch to start position. Have power, no fuses blown and battery is brand new. Act like solenoid or neutral. Motor has been running fine and starting fine. Happened all of a sudden. I do not know where the neutral switch or solenoid are located. Can you help. Jim
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. So from what you are describing , it can be two things, either the neutral safety switch in the control box or the solenoid. Try putting the engine in gear and back to neutral and try again. This will make your control box locate itself in neutral for sure. If that does not turn the starter.
If that does not help you need to check for 12 volts coming to the coil side of the solenoid. If there is contact there, then the solenoid would need to be replaced.
IF you need further assistance let me know.
Noel