Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan, Do you read the firing order clockwise or counter clockwise

Customer Question

Tan, Do you read the firing order clockwise or counter clockwise on a 1960 318? 18436572. Thanks for the help. EW Brown
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello EW. Clockwise. Pull the distributor cap off and look at the rotation of the rotor while cranking this will verify the rotation. Should be clockwise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, This engine was running well 3 days ago with the reading of the order counter clockwise from 1. Please assure me that I read the order clockwise, the same rotation as the rotor. Thanks EWB
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Is this a standard rotation motor? Which direction is the rotor turning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rotation of the rotor is clockwise. However, the distributor sits on the left side of the intake manifold and the tach drive is on the right. Does this drive location change the timing order so that the order is read counter clockwise?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Turning the distributor changes timing but not the firing order. Do you know the rotation of the motor? This determines the firing order. If you need to move the tach drive location you have to relocate the rotor s0 it is at tdc on # ***** Long at # ***** is at TDC you can move the distributor to any location.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TAN, Rotation of prop is clockwise as is the rotor. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 It tries to run, however,backfires thru flame arrestors. I am almost sure for 55 years the order has been read counter clockwise. Distributor has never been moved. I have verified #1 with spark plug removed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The firing order is always read by the rotation of the rotor. If your sure the firing order is correct then what are you asking?Why would the firing order change if you haven't moved any of the wires. So why are you asking about the firing order? Right hand rotation engine firing order 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan,
since this is a marine installation, the distributor is to the rear of the engine; am I correct to assume the #1 cylinder is located at the upper left corner as I look down at the block?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a diagram. http://www.offroaders.com/tech/images/Chrysler-Small-Block-V8_Firing-Order.jpg