Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have problem that after removing lower unit water don't come out when I flush from

Customer Question

I have problem that after removing lower unit water don't come out when I flush from bottom to up from thermostat opening. But from flushing from up it goes ok through the lower pipe.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. From the symptoms you are describing, the pickup tube in the mid section is not connected to the output pipe of the impeller housing. This is a very easy mistake to do when replacing the lower unit. The water is coming out when you are giving it water to the power head because the exhaust goes down after cooling the power head.
Remove again the lower unit and make sure you connect the housing to the pipe going to the power head and you should solve the problem.
If you need further assistance let me know.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed that the pick up tube is firm straight and goes direct in the pump housing when I connect gear shaft.
So if you are sure that the pickup tube is connected properly, then the problem should be in the impeller housing. Did you place the impeller key so that the impeller is firm with the shaft? If yes, with the lower unit removed, try connecting a water hose to the pick p tube and open the water. You should see water coming out of the tell tail. If yes then problem is surely in the impeller housing as described. If no then you could have some pieces of the old impeller up in the powerhead that are blocking the flow of water.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I replaced the impeller kit I did not notice any dents or damage to the hosing, It seemed to me smooth and normal.
when I start engine I see only water coming from back of lower unit and no water eather from tell tail nor the thermostat opening also engine overheats.
Ok then you need to connecting a water hose to the pick p tube and open the water. You should see water coming out of the tell tail. If yes then problem is surely in the impeller housing as described. If no then you could have some pieces of the old impeller up in the power head that are blocking the flow of water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will troubleshot again and see.
Ok let me know what you find. Did the old impeller got thorn? did you find all the pieces?
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It was in good shape. Now after re flushing from pick up tube I found that water is coming somewhere from inside mid unit beside pick up tube. When I looked with flash light something like an opening seemed to me open and abnormal. I referred to manual its water pressure valve. Is this could be related with the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
No that is normal. Water that goes in from the pick up tube should come out of the exhaust mid section and pressure valve. At this stage check again the impeller, make sure that the key is properly inserted and that there is no obstruction in the water pickup holes where the muffs are and try again. Try also starting the engine inside a tank covering well the pickup holes as sometimes the flushing units do not work properly.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I flushed the other engine to confirm the case same way there was no water coming from the pressure valve totally. This engine working perfectly. How can this be explained.
Ok then that is a different story , it looks like the pressure valve may have stuck open and the water just flows out instead of opening when there is pressure (as i taught it was doing) What you need to do is to remove the housing of the pressure valve and check the spring most probably it got stuck and not pushing the valve back.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also saw a spring moving on the opening. Any help how to reach to the valve to replace it. My engine is Suzuki DF 50.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the housing tightened with 8 bolts and another tow big bolts to the trim. I did open all still holding the trim. Should I remove the lock ring at the bottom of the trim to remove the housing.
At the bottom ofthe powerhead you should see a circular housing. Remove that and you will find the valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean no need to remove the mid unit
No you just need to remove the lower cowl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that .
Ok let me know
Noel