Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Got twin merc optimax saltwater series 115 hp 280 hrs each and last few times out an alar

Customer Question

Got twin merc optimax saltwater series 115 hp 280 hrs each and last few times out an alarm beeps almost permanently and only goes away when I reduce throttle. When this occurs engine looses power. Alarm stops beeping and engine power is fully restored. Dealer replaced, water pumps, tstat and poppet valves. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

Is the alarm from both engines?

Is it a beep or a steady tone?

About what RPM does the engine cut out on you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alarm starts to sound on left engine first at around 3k rpm and right engine follows shortly after. The alarm is a long steady tone sound and when I lower rpms below 3k sound goes away and engine resumes operation.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Rod,
Does your boat have a voltage gauge? If so what does it read when the alarm happens?
Do the motors ever run well above 3K?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a volt gauge but I have not paid attention to voltage when alarm starts to sound. I have been able to run both engines over 3k and full throttle but when alarms comes on engines will loose power one at the time and I'm forced to run almost at idle. It feels like something is trying to protect the engines..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
It is. that is the engine guardian system. Protecting itself.
One battery or 2?

What I will need to know is the voltage on the engines hen the alarm happens. Also what RPM you were running when it happened.

Check both engines for water in the fuel.

Is all of this something that you can do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 batteries, it happened after 3k rpm. I start to open them up and that's when alarm comes on. What's best way to ck fuel? Just like cars look and smell?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
On the left side of the engine is a gray box with a capped filter on it.There is a hose attached to 2 fittings on the bottom. Remove the hose from the rear fitting, open the drain screw to the front fitting catch the fuel into a glass jar. Allow it to settle for a few minutes and look to see if there is more than one layer in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will ck thanks.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know what you find.