Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

MerCruiser on a Bluewater boat. Have been getting water in

Customer Question

MerCruiser on a Bluewater boat.
Have been getting water in bottom of boat when out cruising for 2-3 hours.
Probably 3-5 gallons
Had boots replaced two years ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you looked for water leaks on the engine when running the boat? Does it only leak when engine is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, have checked while running saw no water coming off of engine, also looked at transom and didn't see water coming in.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Does the boat take on water when just sitting engine not running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, when moored also.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to inspect the hull around any through hull fittings you might have. If no through hull fittings below water line that leaves the transom assembly. Can you get a mirror and look down towards the bottom of the exhaust collector pipe # ***** The water will be coming in down at the very center of the transom assemble very bottom. Since you have inspected the u-joint bellows and the shift bellows and if there is no hull leaks and it doesn't make any difference if the engine is running that leaves the transom assembly seal and the collector pipe as the source of the leak. This is a process of elimination. So you eliminate as much as possible and what is left. This is not something I can pinpoint exactly as I am not there to look for the leak.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/4.3L%20Alpha%20Bravo%20Carb%20-%20%28262CID%20V6%29/0M615000%20THRU%200W300012/Exhaust%20System/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for the drain plug assembly to leak. It seems to me to get more water in when just sitting at dock?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You said you had replaced the drain plug. Did you replace just the plug or the complete assembly? If just the plug yes they will begin to leak after a period of time. All you have to do is remove the assembly it will be obvious where the seal is bad. Pull the assembly out and post a pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have to leave for appointment, I will check your answer when I return tonight.
Thanks, bob
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Bob. Here is a link instructions to upload pics. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0