Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2001 5.7 Mercruiser and it started with the Starter

Customer Question

I have a 2001 5.7 Mercruiser and it started with the Starter turning slowly but still started and now it only make one Click sound. I switched batteries with my Port Engine and still the same. Port engineer starts fine on either battery.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you have a volt meter to do some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure where to start and need a wiring diagram
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok here is a diagram to follow. First we need to be sure we have good voltage to the solenoid and the starter. Locate the primary start solenoid C. Now test voltage on both large terminals Q yellow/red and red/purple when key is in crank position. What is your voltage reading? http://i.imgur.com/v6ikNFi.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be this afternoon before I can get out to the boat.
is there a list of steps I can take when I get there?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes if you have 9.5+ volts on the red/purple and no voltage on the yellow/red when cranking the solenoid is bad. If you have less than 9.5 volts on the red/purple we have a voltage loss on the starter battery cable connection. Check the cable and connections. You will need to check the negative battery cable connections on the engine and the battery. Now you said you changed the batteries. Did you have the no crank issue before you changed the batteries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I thought it might be a bad battery. So I changed the Positive leads from the Port to the Starboard and vice versa.
Starboard works on either battery, Port does not.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok then the tests I posted should lead you to the cause of the problem. I suspect you have a bad solenoid. Now one more possibility. If you have 9.5+ volts to both terminals of the primary solenoid then we have an issue with the starter either the solenoid or the starter motor it self. This will require removal of the starter for testing or replacement. Many times a corroded connection is the problem causing a loss of voltage to the starter so be sure you check all connections both positive and negative on engine and battery connections. Do you have any questions on the test procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So on the solenid where should I but my put my test leads? and the only other problem I see is trying to reach the starter motor to test the voltage.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The black test lead goes to engine ground the red lead goes to the red/purple crank engine read voltage then move red lead to yellow/red crank engine read the voltage. If voltage is less than 9.5 volts on the red/purple we have a voltage supply issue. Either bad connection or bad cable. This can be on either cable pos or neg. So it is important to check all connections. That's the reason I am trying to keep the testing on the primary solenoid it is on top of the engine. If the solenoid and cable check out good then the starter is the problem. I know they are a pain to get to. You might have to remove the exhaust manifold to get access to the starter for removal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks will check this and get back to you if I need to.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Great. Just let me know if you have any questions or problems I can help.Your welcome.Thank you.........Tan