Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

My 2005 yamaha hdpi outborad started leaking oil or lower unit

Customer Question

my 2005 yamaha hdpi outborad started leaking oil or lower unit grease out of the speedo hole. Itook it to the shop and they did a compresson test, and they said they could hear it leak out. they put 12 to 121/2 on it. could it be coming from the seals around the shift shaft ot around the bottom of the water pump. they said that it might be craked inside , this would come from freezing .I keep my boat inside a heated building in the winter time. This is the frist time that I have hear of this. Can you give me a answer why it will not hold compresson I really would like to know. I not want to be scam into somthing. thank you from Va
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.
It really shouldn't leak out the speedo opening as the cavity and the inside of the lower unit is not connected. The cavity where the speedo opening is should drain in both the tilted and non tilted positions so freezing would not be my first concern, however corrosion could have set in if salt water use. I have never see the lower unit crack in a location as to let gear oil drain out the speedo opening.
Was there water in the gear oil? What condition was the gear oil in? Clear? Black? Milky?
When we check a gearcase we always pressure test it and vacuum test it. This way we get a true indication of the condition of the seals. When the test is preformed the lower unit will need to be removed from the engine. A leak detection fluid (soapy water) will be used to find any leaks. The shop should be able to pinpoint the leak within minutes. The two most common points are the driveshaft and propshaft seals. You can put more than 12# ***** air in the lower unit to find the leak.
Seems like the shop did an incomplete job. I would recommend finding another shop, have the unit properly tested. Have them demonstrate the leak to you and fix that problem. One caveat would be that the engine is 10 years old and you may want to have the entire gearcase resealed. If no corrosion it isn't too bad a job.
If the engine has been used mostly in fresh water and low hours you could just fix the offending seal.
Hope this answers your question and if you need further assistance on this please just post back.
Thanks