Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 1966 40 hp , runs but cant tune out a pop and kick it has,

Customer Question

my 1966 40 hp , runs but cant tune out a pop and kick it has, in nuetral
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** you have the idle adjusted at initially?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like 3 turns and the further in i go the better it runs, but that dam kick happens , looks like they do when lower gear, is bad, same type deal
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The initial setting is 1.5 turns out from lightly seated. What is happening is the engine is running lean from to much air and not enough fuel. Now a bad coil will cause the same symptom but you have replaced the copils correct? I suspect you have a bad gasket on the intake. Spray wd40 around the intake gaskets # ***** and 20. If the engine runs better then you have a bad gasket.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1966&hp=40&model=40652B&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Manifold+And+Leaf+Plate+Group Try this and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea it dont run well until i lean it way out,coils were just put on, i think they were trien to fix this issue and wanst able to. i will have to try the spray in the morning, i am at work right now
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's fine with me.