Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1987 70hp yamaha it has two trim cylinders with the

Customer Question

I have a 1987 70hp yamaha it has two trim cylinders with the power lift cylinder in between and there is a rod that goes through the bottom of the three cylinders with seals, one of those seals is leaking and needs to be replaced,I have removed the trim/tilt unit from the motor except for the electrical . I need help from here to remove and replace the seals.
Thanks J.D.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time
OK, the two cylinders on each side are trim cylinders, the one in the center is the tilt cylinder. Which one is leaking?
You'll need to remove the manual relief valve from the side of the trim unit. There is a snap ring that needs removing first. Then unscrew the valve and catch the fluid in a container. This will remove most of the pressure. Any time you remove a part put a rag over the part being removed to stop any high pressure squirting of the fluid.
Post back with where the leaks are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I send you a response yesterday ,want to know if you received it?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't?