Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Steers extremely hard. deck boat/115 merc

Customer Question

steers extremely hard. deck boat/115 merc
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Have you done any troubleshooting on your own yet about the issue, if so, what have you done? Also, is it hard to steer in both directions, or only one direction?
How old is the boat/engine/steering system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003/both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r jones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is hard to steer in both directions...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Step one would be to see if the steering is tight because of corrosion in the outboard or not. To do that simply disconnect the steering cables end link from the outboard. And once connected turn the outboard by hand to see if that is tight or not. If it is fine. Then the next step is to remove the steering cable from the tube, clean out any corrosion with a wire brush. Grease the inside of the tube as well as the outside of the cable, and re-install. If still tight the cable is actually worn out and requires replacement. That is what needs to happen. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
115hp merc
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my last reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure , will not be at the lake for several days...I'll try what you recommend and see if that fixes the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
saw your reply
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I do want to make sure I get all your questions answered. Did anything not make sense to you in my previous reply? What I wrote covered all potential possibilities for tight steering.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure entail i get back to the boat next week. signing off
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how you want to leave this. But that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the steering or do you think that covers it? --Jason