Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1988 (or so) v 135. One weekend I took it out and

Customer Question

I have a 1988 (or so) v 135. One weekend I took it out and it ran fine. The followinf weekend It wouldn't start. The battery is fine and it turns over with no problem. There is a beeping that starts shortly after I turn it over, The only other time I've heard this is when the oil is low in the reservoir and the bobber gets too low. It has fuel in it and the valve on the tank is open. I know this isn't much to go on but one week it works, the next week it doesn't. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing to check is the safety lanyard switch on the control box. Make sure it is in the ON position. If it is then you need to check that there is spark coming to all spark plugs. To do this you would need a spark gap tester. I doubt it is a carb problem since it started a week before. As for the alarm as you correctly said it is due to low oil in the reservoir or overheating but since it has not started it surely is not overheating. Check for the float to be floating and not blocked down.
If you need further assistance let me know.
Noel
Do you require further assistance on this issue?
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't have a safety lanyard. I don't have a spark gap tester but I'm starting to suspect the issue is electrical since fuel is getting beyond the gas filter. Any other ways to check the spark? It's a two-person job no matter what.
What you need to do is to remove the spark plug and place the lead back in it and put it somewhere touching ground. Then try running the engine and you should see the spark.
Noel
Do you require any further assistance? Have you managed to check the spark?
Noel