Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Having an issue with steering on my 92 celebrity 4.3 mercruiser

Customer Question

Having an issue with steering on my 92 celebrity 4.3 mercruiser with alpha drive
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
You would want to make sure all lines have no restrictions, res is clean, and that the fluid is full and purged no air (side to side lock to lock) If still having problems you would need to isolate the problem, this means disconnecting each section to isolate the problem, with cable not attached to helm turn and see if having the problem which would indicate a bad helm unit if it still was there, if not then it reconnected you disconnect the cable from the transom unit and if it then still does it you need to replace the cable or check for binding, if not then you would want to disconnect the leg from the transom unit and turn manually side to side and see if it was the problem, if not that leaves you with the transom rack and the power steering pump.
You could also still have air trapped that needs to be worked out. Also know if pump came apart and put any metal/shavings into the system that would also cause a problem.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.