Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a merc 200 saltwater 2005 carb. Motor runs fine until

Customer Question

I have a merc 200 saltwater 2005 carb. Motor runs fine until I get into rough water offshore. motor runs good at about 3800+. If I try to ease back a little it will slowly run slower and slower until it just dies completely. Even with throttle still open. If I gun it with throttle it will speed back up and as soon as I let it ease back again it will do same thing. I thought it could be fuel pump but I rebuilt it and there was really nothing wrong with it. Carbs were rebuilt 2years ago and they were not really that bad at the time. Seems to be starving for fuel but I don't know how.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the engine on another fuel source like an auxiliary fuel tank. You could have a fuel starvation issue with the boat side fuel system and not the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking of that. I only have one tank but it was half full and the gas gauge needle was going up and down, empty to full back and forth. I filled tank and will test tomorrow. Maybe the pickup could be damaged somehow. What do you think
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The pick up could be damaged or the screen on the end of the tube could be clogging up with debris. Over time the tanks will collect debris and eventually start clogging this screen. What you can do is pull the pick up tube out and remove the screen. The fuel filter will catch any debris in the tank now. If you use ethanol enriched fuel it can cause a starvation issue also. There is also an anti siphon valve on the tank that can cause an issue. Plus a clogged vent line can cause an issue. The easiest way to eliminate all of these is by running the engine on a different fuel tank. You can use a 5 gallon gas can and a piece of hose. Remove the fuel line on the primer bulb tank side. Now connect the fuel line from the gas can and secure the gas can run the boat. If it runs better then we know the boat side fuel system is the problem. Dopes this all make sense?