Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am considering boat with 2003 twin 200 Yamaha 4 strokes.

Customer Question

I am considering boat with 2003 twin 200 Yamaha 4 strokes. How can I be sure it does not have corrosion issues? It has 900 hours and reportedly regular service. Do we have to look inside exhaust tubes??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Does the previous owner have any records of the tubes being changed to the newer style?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure the tubes have been changed?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If the tubes are original they will need to be changed at some point or another. They all rot out. If there are no records on the engine. The only other way aside from from knowing it's history to get an idea of what kind of shape the exhaust system Is in is to remove the lower unit and then fish a fiber optic camera up the tube to inspect it visually.
That is what needs to happen. I am not sure what else there is to say. But I do want to get all your questions answered and make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it? --Jason