Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Does it matter whether you run a 2 or 3 prong plug on a minnkota

Customer Question

does it matter whether you run a 2 or 3 prong plug on a minnkota ath 70 lb thrust 24 volt. i have 2 black (ground wires) tied together, then hooked to negative side of receptacle. orange and red hooked together then to positive side of receptacle. positive (red) wires coming from trolling motor tied together, then to postive side of plug and the negative wires tied together and then to negative side of plug. This has worked for 2 years, I have 24 volts going to the trolling motor but it does not run. Is it ok to wire this way?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** as you have ground and 24 volts to the motor it only requires 2 prongs. Ground and 24 volts. The negatives being tied together is just 2 grounds being connected together there is no benefit in 2 grounds a ground is a ground.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is how I get credit for helping you. Thank you......Tan