Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Again Mr. Tan , this is FERNANDO again with the 1985

Customer Question

hello again Mr. Tan , this is FERNANDO again with the 1985 Malibu Skier, This year I have changed the impeller, thermostat and gaskets, but my Baby is acting up when I try to start at times, Sometimes when turning the key to start nothing happens but if
I move the throttle handle on a non Neutral, position slowly on a certain handle position the key activates the starter. One of my boat Vendors mention that it might be the safety switch on the throttle assembly but I did not see any Wire conductors on the
Chassis body. I have changed the Neutral switch on the transmission like you requested on the previous help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello Fernando. Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission shift arm. Now put the transmission in neutral see if the engine cranks. If it cranks check the shift cable will it line up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK BUT AT THIS TIME I HAVE TO INITIAL THE PROCESS AT A LATER TIME , I HAVE TO GO TO WORK , WILL TRY AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I COMPLETE THE TEST. THANK YOU
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok . If the shift cable doesn't line up you need to adjust the cable so it fits on the lever in the neutral position where the engine will start.I think the shift cable is just out of adjustment. Keep me posted. Thank you.Tan