Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am thinking of buying a sailboat with a 1984 westerbeke 1-10

Customer Question

I am thinking of buying a sailboat with a 1984 westerbeke 1-10 diesel engine. 1296 hours. Are there any special issues to be aware of? Are parts available. Engine looks OK except for a rusty motor mount below the sea water pump. Have not yet seen it running.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
You can still get impellers, thermostats and filters for them. But when the manifold rots out from water exposure those are not available any longer. So you would be looking at quite a long hunt to try and find a used one someplace. And if you can not find one, you would be looking at replacement. Westerbeke parts are also notoriously expensive for what they are. If the engine does not run and more importantly cool properly, you would either price this boat as needing a replacement engine. Or just walk away from it.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it? -Jason