Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Mecury optimax saltwater 4 beeps and water pours out of wire

Customer Question

mecury optimax saltwater 4 beeps and water pours out of wire haress entering motor when motor tilted, reservoir full
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2001 OptiMaxx saltwater 200 hp Mercury I will text the serial number shortly
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
Does your boat have a water pressure gauge or a speed gauge?
Are you able to do some testing on the engine?
What I need for you to do is to unplug the oil tank and then turn the key on, do you still get the alarm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can test The boat is in a slip on my peer. I do not have a water pressure gauge I can determine speed by GPS only I will disconnect the oil alarm alarm and see if I still get the 4 beeps. What would cause water to come out of the wiring harness which would mean water inside the counseling also seems to be draining out of the lower unit pinhole for an exceedingly long time good these symptoms indicate broken water hoseor connector or cracked block I've done a visual inspection with engine running and cannot identify water leaking out anywhere hose or block
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
On the rear of the engine down low on the block, there is a gray hose on a quick connect. It is for water pressure. It should go to a "T" fitting and then to a plug in one of the lines. Make sure that is still in place.
You can also just start and run the engine in the water for a few minutes, shut it off and trim it up. If you do not get any water, the leak is from the speed connections on the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unpluged oil tank alarm still sounds
Does this mean water separator if so how do I disconnect loosen the bolt underneath of it? I can't get any oil filter wrench around it without taking the bolt underneath offPlease note in picture there is a T fitting on the oil connection bottle hose that does not have a hose on the brass nipple of a tee fitting leading down should that have a hose on it. If not is there a check valve in the T? I cannot find a extra hose in that area to connect to itWill the alarm sound if there lack of oil pressure instead of available oil (ie Oil pump is not functioning)Found water pressure hose is coming from block to leading out in the harness with no T. I have not run boat. Be with cover on it until to see if the water is still coming because I have not identified the oil causeAlso of note I recently cleaned off corrosion on and painted the lower unit which may have uncloged the speedo intake tube which may be causing the water build up what would be the fix?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You can just unplug the water sep filter and key the engine up. If that is the cause, the alarm will not be going off.
That "T" fitting is a vacuum breaker, that part is supposed to be blank.
the is no alarm for lack of oil pressure, just the oil tank and if the oil pump shorts out.
Where does the water pressure hose go to? is it capped?
if it is the small black hose for the speed, you can unplug it fromthe gear case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the water sep alarm still sounds
The hose for spedo appears to come from block lower starboard side of engine and leads out of engine in harness into bilge of boat cannot trace the end of it but it has no connections that would appear to put water in the the engine cowling.
Is it likely that alarm is result of oil pump short outI heard there is a procedure for priming the oil reserve tank reservoir. Should I do it; how is it done?Will it harm the motor to run it to see if alarm will go away?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to an air compressor, and an air nozzle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have an air compressor and can probably fashion a nozzle of some sort what size nozzle
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What you need is a blow gun. Remove the gray hose from the block, blow into it and see if you can hear the air escaping any where. Don't apply too much pressure as this gray line goes to the water pressure gauge.