Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 195 stingray 2013 49 hours on it last week it cut

Customer Question

i have a 195 stingray 2013 49 hours on it last week it cut off while underway at low rpm and at 3000 rpm it would restart 2 min later and run ok but 4 seperate times in 2days any ideas fuel filter or stuck float maybe
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking it?

Who makes the engine in the boat? Do you have a model/serial number on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mercury mercruiser 4.3tks

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. Now how old is the fuel in the tank that the engine is trying to burn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

new unleaded 89 octane 15 gallons had 1/4 tank left from full tank of last years gas w stabiliser i used 3/4 beforethis trip 2 weeks ago without problem

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Water in the fuel would do it, as well as a sticking float. What I would do is try to run it off of another fuel source first, like a portable outboard style tank. That will tell you if the problem is on the fuel supply side of things or the engine side of things. If it is on the engine side of things after testing, I would pop up the disitribuotr cap and see if there is corrosion or burning underneath the cap and on the rotor. If it looks bad, replace it. If it looks good, then I would open up the carb and clean it out.

I don't know how you want to leave this. But that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the issue or do you think that covers it? --Jason