Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2001 centurion elite bowrider with a 350 mercruiser.

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2001 centurion elite bowrider with a 350 mercruiser. After driving the boat and then killing it. It will not start right back up unless I leave it sitting for an hour or more. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
All Mercruisers are cataloged by serial number, do you have that number? If not, is this a fuel injected or carbureted engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am steven and I'm not around my boat right now to get the serial number but it is fuel injected
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steven do you know if it is multiport injection( MPI ) Or throttle body injection, (TBI).
Have you ever tried to restart it with the throttle all the way forward in neutral?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MPI and ya it didn't make any difference
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The engine is loosing either fuel pressure or loosing spark. What needs to happen is the boat has to go out on to the water, the problem needs to be duplicated. And then spark and fuel pressure needs to be checked to see which one the engine is loosing. Once you figure out which it is loosing, then you can work on a why. Is that something you are able to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya i will check it out in a little bit and get back with you on what happens
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What you would want to do as the testing is hook up a fuel pressure gauge and leave it hooked up. Go and run the boat and duplicate the problem. When you shut down, look at the fuel pressure gauge and see if it drops within the first 2 to 3 minutes. After that let it sit and then check it 1/2 hour later and see if it has dropped.
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help but neither fire or or fuel was the problem. The impeller inside the water pump was dry and not pumping enough water so the sensor would shut the boat down after a few degrees above normal running temperature
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You still have a problem. You never mentioned to me that you were running hot. But even so, there is no sensor on the engine that would prevent it from starting. That is not the way the ECM and sensors work on the engine.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Depending on how hot it might me running, the ECM will put the engine into varying degrees of power reduction. You would have anything from 10% to 90% of power available depending on how hot it actually was. But it would still start every time. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Makes sense but already put new impeller on and it's running like a champ so problem fixed
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't make any sense. But I am glad to hear you are up and running again.
Happy boating!
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya it wasn't gettin very much over normal running temperature so I didn't think it was gettin hot. Only thing I can think of is previous owner must have installed an after market cutoff for the motor and must be extremely sensitive
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you have any contact with the previous owner you might want to call him and ask if he did anything like that. These are sophisticated engines and they do have protection modes as part of them. If the previous owner did something to alter the way the protection mode works that might cause an issue in the opposite direction. For example, if you ever have say a low oil pressure issue, which is really bad, the protection system might not work as its designed to. And that would cause big problems. So if you can, I would definitely try to find out if the previous owner did any "tinkering" to the engine.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it? --Jason