Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My name is***** have a 90hp Honda 2003 outboard

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** have a 90hp Honda 2003 outboard carbuerated .. The motor starts right up motor sounds great will put in gear get up to speed on plane for quite a while then with no warning motor will all the sudden die.. It usually takes quite a while to start back up, sometimes it ill run quite a while and do it again sometimes will run perfect for up to an hour sometimes only 10 mins and problem will reoccur.. I have replaced computer, all sensors, checked all wiring, had my stepdad check all carbs, Alll wiring looks great, néw fuel tank fuel lines, new fuel tank, water pump, have replaced everything i could have ever imagined, I'm a 25 year old young man who just wants this motor to run right, it's on a 17' montauk Boston whaler.. Any information or tips to my problem would be great.. Sincerely Brent
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Check the voltage going to the battery when the engine is idling and running correctly on plane. It should be no less than 13 and no more that 14.5V DC. If you get either, you have a failed stator assy or a failed voltage regulator. You will need to do some electrical testing to determine which is the bad part.