Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have an indmar engine that will not go above 2,000 rpm in

Customer Question

I have an indmar engine that will not go above 2,000 rpm in forward. In neutral it revs normally. Trying to figure out why.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
In neutral the engine is NOT under a load, this means that you can sometimes have fuel issues, ignition/spark issues, etc and be fine in neutral but show problems in gear under a load.
What this means is to start with the basics, tune up items including plugs, wires, cap, rotor fuel filter etc all tested/checked or replaced, next checking for misfires (under load) as well as fuel pressure key on engine off, key on engine running idle and key on engine running in gear, also checking compression and for air restrictions.
A model number may help for more in depth diagnosis if needed.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.