Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 98 yamaha ox66 saltwater series outboard. Yesterday

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 98 yamaha ox66 saltwater series outboard. Yesterday the power trim was acting intermittent and then suddenly without being operated went to full up position on its own where it continued to run for about a full minute then quit. Now it won't respond to either the helm trim switch or the one on the motor. Nor can I hear any relay clicks in either up or down switching. I checked the fuse on starboard side in grey box and it's good. Any suggestions? Steve
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. As for why it went up on it's own, there a short in the harness someplace. 99% of the time it is in the actual shifter handle. The wires like to twist and pinch right where the handle pivots.
As for the rest of it, can I get the actual model number on the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is s225txrx if I unplug the shifter handle will it allow rear button on motor to work?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I unplug the shifter handle will it allow rear button on motor to work?
Not really, not as you are thinking. You have 2 fuses on the engine, a 20 and a 30. Have you checked them both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the one on starboard side on small rectangle box on side of motor whereof gt the other be?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There should be 2 in that box. Both inside rubber boots. Are you near the engine now to double check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be morning before I get it on trailer. But I only see the one rubber boot
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Click this link.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1999/S225TXRX/ELECTRICAL%203/parts.html
Locate 17 and 19. You should have a few fuses right there as well. Check them out and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I ll look closer when I get it on trailer
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
This is just to see if we can get power back to the relay so it clicks again. If you find a blown fuse and the motor starts running as soon as you put it in, pull it back out.
Let me know how you make out.
-Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in. Any luck?