Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1993 40 horsepower evinrude engine not firing on bottom cylinder.

Customer Question

1993 40 horsepower evinrude engine not firing on bottom cylinder. compression is 135, coil has been changed, power pak has been changed, stator has been changed, trigger has been changed, plugs have been changed. engne starts everytime just no fire on bottom cylinder
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the bottom cylinder have no spark? Or does the bottom cylinder not combust fuel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no spark
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a peak reading voltmeter or DVA adapter for your volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes an ohm test isn't accurate on a stop switch. Disconnect the stop switch completely. Then check for spark.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Last post doesn't apply to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if u r talking kill switch it kills engine, and engine will not start with kill switch disconnected. tried with kill switch activated and it appears to function as per design. how can I jump switch out
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you get a DVA adapter? Here is a link. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=ESP640&source=froogle&kw=ESP640&gclid=CjwKEAjw-ZqrBRDt_KjhjcbzhhISJAAlRGvluREZF5Yj9zJ9CTDYcz5-nRNv1A5tLI8lpch-xK53FRoCrn3w_wcB The only way we are going to find the problem is with this tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only thing not changed is switch, kill switch and rectifier can I find DVA adapter at auto parts store
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack. Do you have spark? It's possible you can get a peak reading volt meter at the parts house. The DVA adapter is cheaper and does the same thing but you will only find that on line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems like that was done and a power pak was ordered. Boat not here being worked on by a so called boat motor mechanic over $700 in parts already spent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had intermittent spark when problem started then no spark at all. Had not spark, re-setkill switch and got spark then lost it all together
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That's why we need to test voltage output? The only way to test this ignition system is with a peak reading voltmeter or a DVA adapter. Obviously if they can't fix it they are doing something wrong. I am already at a disadvantage I can't see what you have. So I have to rely on the correct tool to troubleshoot the problem. So what would you like to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guess I'll have to find a meter or adapter and get my boat home and get back with u
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That's probably the best thing to do as they aren't fixing it. The amount of money you have spent is rediculous. There is no reason they had to replace everything. If they troubleshot it correctly they only needed to replace the bad part. I guess they are parts changers. I'll be here and the question doesn't close. Just post back as you have been.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I have to ask for u or is it automatic
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Long as you post on this link I will get your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.