Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I hope you can help. I just bought a 20hp johnson outboard

Customer Question

Hi, I hope you can help. I just bought a 20hp johnson outboard motor. It can go in reverse, and neutral but when i put it in forward it jumps back to neutral. The marks on the throttle handle are rubbed off so im not sure how to re mark them or if that has something to do with the motor not going forward since I don't know if it is in the slow, fast, start or stop position. any help would greatly be appreciated!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** throttle handle needs to be turned fully clockwise to shift. If the handle isn't fully twisted the engiubne will not go into gear. The armature plate under the flywheel blocks it from shifting. Try that and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tan, thank you for the reply. When I tried to run my motor again it didn't start this time. I'm not sure what to do now. I have marked down the shifting is all the way turned clockwise so that helps. Do you know how to tell if it is in the start position? It started on the lake last time I ran it but just not now. Could this be because the throttle is not in the right position?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, You can turn the twist grip counter clockwise to give it throttle to start the engine. Once you get the engine started turn the twist grip clockwise a little getting the idle down now shift into forward. Your going to have to play with the positions till you get it just right foe start and shift. Try this procedure and let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Remember to choke the engine to get it started. Post back with questions and how this procedure works for you. Thank you..Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tan,
Sorry for the delay's I only get a chance to work on my boat on the weekends. Thanks for the tips but as of right now I can't get it started still. I have tried different positions on the throttle and did choke it to but still nothing.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine turn over? If yes then we need to check for spark. If it doesn't turn over we need to get a jumper wire and jump from the battery terminal to the small terminal of the solenoid with the yellow/red wire. Does engine turn over now?